History Hoydens

Example

Historical Romance Writers Dishing the Dirt on Research

21 August 2016

A :azy Sunday, Dolls, & Inspiration


After I was gone most of yesterday at a sublime Merola Grand Finale concert, the conclusion of this summer’s Merola Opera Program, my daughter Mélanie and I spent a lazy Sunday today.

I never got to the research I planned and I still haven’t got to my daily word count. One of the things we did was dress up her collection of dolls who live in a Regency-era American Girl doll parlor (which I couldn’t resist and fortunately Mélanie loves to play with ). I would have liked to put them in all the early 19th century dresses we have, but we ended up with a mix of eras (early 19th century, turn of the 20th century, modern).

The discussion, as we dressed them included “she’s getting ready for a ball” and “she’s having a sleepover” from Mélanie with comments from me about “this is like the dresses the characters wear in Mummy’s books” and “see this mantilla? my Mélanie character wore one in Spain.”

It’s those sort of bits and pieces that started my own historical framework as I grew up. And meanwhile, though I didn’t get any of my own research done, It got some historical inspiration dressing dolls.


Did your interest in history start in childhood? Do you remember what sparked it?

Labels: , , ,

5 Comments:

Blogger Betty Strohecker said...

Thinking back, I guess my interest in history started in elementary school reading about the lives and culture of people in ancient civilizations. I also adored my Weekly Reader which could take me many places in the world. Later in high school, world history and Latin made me more interested. Then I married a man who was a history buff and since we were both avid readers, it didn't take long for me to discover that historical fiction was my favorite genre.

Love the post!

1:52 PM  
Blogger Tracy Grant said...

Great to hear about your discovery of history, Betty! I think my love of history may have started watching Elizabeth R on tv with my parents and then going to Britain soon after, but playing with my dolls and acting out stories was definitely part of it. My dad brought me a castle from another trip to Britain that I played with endlessly.

9:21 PM  
Blogger Lynne Hess said...

Like Betty, I loved Weekly Reader (are we showing our age?). But my love really started with Anya Seton's Katherine - I must have been 12 or so when I read it the first time. The story was so magical - and still is even if it was a bit romanticized. After that I couldn't get enough English history. That love is difficult to explain but it has never faded.

10:37 PM  
Blogger Tracy Grant said...

I read Katherine at about the same age, Lynne, though I was hooked on history year early as I said, and already hooked on the Wars of the Roses from The Daughter of Time.

10:50 PM  
Blogger Lynne Hess said...

The Daughter of Time is a great favorite of mine, too!!

9:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Site Counter
Kennedy Western University Online