History Hoydens


Historical Romance Writers Dishing the Dirt on Research

30 July 2014


A very talented group of my friends have put out a massive historical romance box set (10 full-length novels). It's only available for a limited time, and it's extremely well-priced. So if you haven't tried these ladies, I highly recommend checking out TEMPTED BY HIS TOUCH!

Q&A with Erica Monroe

What’s your favorite historical romance? I definitely have a few. Books that have really changed how I approach writing are Bound by His Touch by Meredith Duran, A Gentleman Undone by Cecilia Grant, and Forever and a Day by our own Delilah Marvelle (yes, I'm a fan girl!).

What is the first romance novel you ever read? The Secret History of the Pink Carnation by Lauren Willig. To this day, I have a huge weak spot for spy romances.

Would you want to live in the time you write about? What would you love? Hate?
Honestly, I don't think I'd like to live in the rookeries, LOL. I love writing about them because it astounds me how these people can deal with these harsh circumstances, this back-breaking poverty, and still have hope. That's what I really wanted to show when writing the Rookery Rogues series--love comes even in our darkest hours. But given that I'm pretty outspoken, I don't think I'd fit well into the traditional roles offered to women. I would definitely hate being pigeon-holed. I'd probably have to be like the heroine in A Dangerous Invitation, who sets herself up as a fence for stolen goods and learns how to shoot a flintlock better than the men around her. I think I'd enjoy that!

If given the choice between a duke, a rogue, or an alpha hero, which would you choose? In literature, always a rogue. I like the unconventional views, and the dangerous side. In reality, I gravitate toward beta heroes normally.

What tempts you? (Chocolate, caviar, long walks on the beach…) Gluten free pastries, gluten free cider, extra dirty vodka martinis, television, and a great deal on clothes!

Rapid fire round:
Designer purses or Target special? Target, always! I am a thrift shop queen.
Heels or flip flops? Ridiculously high stiletto heels, though I spend most days in ballet flats.
Rich or famous? Rich. I don't think the paparazzi and I would have a grand love affair.
American hottie or sexy Brit? Sexy Brit, though I married an American hottie who claims he'll learn to do a British accent (11 years later, I have yet to hear it).
Where’s your happy place? Being at home with my husband, surrounded by our two dogs and our cat.


Daniel took one look at the bannister, then at her, and tugged her closer to him. His hold was strong, but not unrelenting. She was flush against him, so close she could feel the beating of his heart. Warmth replaced brisk wind, and his presence blotted out loneliness until she was part of something greater, something powerful beyond herself. 

Kate feared that heady sensation. Passion didn’t stick to predetermined routes and checklists.
When he spoke, his breath tickled her skin. His voice rumbled in her ear. “I don’t want to lose you again.”
A tremble tore through her. In those few months after he left, she’d woken with those words on her lips, whispers from dreams wherein he’d fulfilled his promise to return for her. He was here, and she forgot the reasons why she should loathe him.

Everything but the smell of bergamot and cloves disappeared.

About the Book:

A boxed set with ten sizzling historical romances from ten bestselling historical romance authors. Fall in love with fabulous tales of intrigue, suspense, wit, and passion featuring dukes, rogues, alpha heroes…and the women who can’t resist them. JUST 99 CENTS from July 27 - Sept. 21---then it disappears FOREVER!

Scoundrel Ever After by Darcy Burke - Once upon a time there was a very bad boy who met a very nice girl....

Lady of Pleasure by Delilah Marvelle - Educating a man in the art of love takes time. Lots of it.

Sonata for a Scoundrel by Anthea Lawson - Passion and secrets simmer against the glittering backdrop of 19th century musical celebrity.

To Dare the Duke of Dangerfield by Bronwen Evans - What's a lady to do when a notorious rake wins her estate in a game of cards?

Undone by Lila DiPasqua – One steamy, emotionally charged retelling of Rapunzel…Rescuing this beauty from the ‘tower’ is only the beginning…

The Problem with Seduction by Emma Locke - Elizabeth Spencer needs a man. She doesn't need to like him—because while she needs a man, she doesn't particularly want one.

A Dangerous Invitation by Erica Monroe - Daniel O'Reilly returns to win back Kate Morgan’s heart and prove he's innocent of murder.

Once Upon a Duke by Eva Devon - A widow looking to get seduced. A duke more than willing to oblige.

Great & Unfortunate Desires by Gina Danna - A marquis with a guilty past takes a bride in a world where love is fatal.

Dark Surrender By Erica Ridley - Trapped in darkness…. Their passion burns bright!


Blogger Kati said...

Thank you for hosting!

5:02 AM  
Blogger Darcy Burke said...

Thank you for hosting us today, ladies!!

11:10 AM  
Blogger Janice Hougland said...

Thanks for your interview! I, too, am a thrift shop queen and chicken when it comes to personal relationships...I prefer plain vanilla. But when I'm reading I like the alpha heroes and pretend I'm a daring heroine...and live a little dangerously. Thanks again for such a wonderful anthology of ten super duper romances! jdh2690@gmail.com

12:13 PM  
Blogger Emma Locke said...

Thank you for having us!

6:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Site Counter
Kennedy Western University Online