History Hoydens

Example

Historical Romance Writers Dishing the Dirt on Research

31 March 2014

Georgian Gossip Columns

I was having a discussion on Twitter (yes, I live on Twitter) about the fact that no one I know has been able to document Georgian/Regency engagement announcements in the newspapers. They confined themselves to deaths, marriages, and births (and many of these announcements don't even include the name of the lady/mother: "A son was born to Lord Soandso." "Lord Soandso has married the eldest daughter of the Earl of Blah."

But the fabulous Susanna Kearsley shared with us a very clever way an author can get around this if they NEED an engagement to be in the papers: Gossip columns! She even posted several examples:


FROM 1712
 
 
 
FROM 1800

 



FROM 1800

5 Comments:

Blogger Susanna Kearsley said...

Glad to be Useful :-) You'll want to flip the dates on the first and second notices, though--the first one's from 1800, the second from 1712. And these all came from one of my favourite online resources, the British Newspaper Archive. It's a subscription site, but well worth the expense for the research you gain. They're at http://www.britishnewspaperarchive.co.uk/?gclid=COHGgKvHvb0CFbQWMgodRVUAGQ

12:57 PM  
Blogger Regencyresearcher said...

I found one such comment n a Morning Post of 1802. I'll have to look through later editions to see if there are others, Most are reports of unequal matches or large dowries. Not straightforward announcements in newspapers such we have now,

7:25 AM  
Blogger Louisa Cornell said...

I love to stop by and visit the Hoydens! I always learn something new and fascinating or I end up adding a new book or service to my research library. Fascinating!

4:57 PM  
Blogger Dee said...

Oh, mysteries. So tantalizing. What precisely was the nature of Col Cunningham's injuries that 3 years after the date he decided he couldn't marry. Did they even marry? How long did he live? Did they have children...? I did find a reference that he was in the Coldstream Guards.

8:31 PM  
Blogger Dee said...

Whoops, I thought the article was from 1802, not 1800. So only a year or less.

8:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Site Counter
Kennedy Western University Online