History Hoydens

Example

Historical Romance Writers Dishing the Dirt on Research

14 February 2014

A Valentine to Writers' Real Life Heroes

Late last summer I was invited by author Hope Tarr to participate in an exciting anthology she was preparing for a Valentine's Day 2014 release. Hope is one of the co-founders of the hugely successful Lady Jane's Salon in NYC, which just celebrated its fifth anniversary, bringing romance authors and readers together one evening a month (in NYC it's the first monday), and which has spawned satellite salons across the country.

In the e-book Scribbling Women and the Real-Life Romance Heroes Who Love Them, edited by Hope, twenty-eight romance fiction writers reveal the real life stories of how they met, wed, and are loved and supported by their spouses and life partners. The book's title is taken from a complaint by Nathaniel Hawthorne to his publisher: "America is now wholly given over to a damned mob of scribbling women, and I should have no chance of success while the public taste is occupied with their trash--and should be ashamed of myself if I did succeed."


Now we know what the man who wrote THE SCARLET LETTER thought of the author of LITTLE WOMEN.

All of the proceeds of the sales of SCRIBBLING WOMEN go to support the charitable organization Win (originally called Women in Need), founded 30 years ago to provide women and children in NYC "safe, clean shelter and access to critical services, including child care, substance-abuse counseling, domestic-violence services, money management, employment readiness, and life skills. Every family is treated differently, according to their needs."

Every day Win provides labors of love that are sorely needed in the lives of these women and their children, getting them back on track to happy endings of their own.

I had always wanted to tell my own story of happily ever after, especially as I've recounted the love stories of real life couples in my historical fiction and in my nonfiction books about royalty. Not to give the cow away -- but I'll provide a taste of the milk: I'd been in a long-distance relationship that was becoming more emotionally remote as the years progressed so I ended it and decided to enroll for 1 month with an online dating site. In my profile I'd wanted to meet a man within 5 miles of the Upper West Side of Manhattan. Instead -- the man who found me -- my own prince charming, really was a knight in shining armor, fighting a war half a world away. His first letter to me, written several times over because the satellite signal kept failing, was sent three days after Valentine's Day in 2006. I just opened his Valentine card this morning. But in fact, for the first time in my life, I rejoice that, as corny as it sounds, I did find my hero and he makes every day Valentine's Day. I've never known someone so supportive and loving.

Happy Valentine's Day, everyone!  How did you meet your hero/ine?

P.S. Scribbling Women and the Real-Life Romance Heroes Who Love Them
is on sale at Amazon for only 99 cents until midnight on 2/15/14 -- a Valentine's Day special price. All sales proceeds go to Win.

1 Comments:

Blogger Seftali's Travel said...

I scribble, add me ;)


http://seftalisblog.blogspot.jp/2014/02/damascus-and-maaloula-during-revolution.html

8:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Site Counter
Kennedy Western University Online