History Hoydens


Historical Romance Writers Dishing the Dirt on Research

05 July 2013

Smoke River Scandal

My new book, Smoke River Bride, is just now on the shelves.
 This is the story of a half-Chinese mail-order bride who travels to the small ranching community of Smoke River, Oregon, only to find that the townspeople shun her . . . and how she fights back.

The inspiration for the book came from a photograph of a young Chinese girl taken by Arnold Genthe, which I found in the book San Francisco's Old Chinatown.   The struggles of the Chinese in the nineteenth century touched me, and I felt drawn to the difficulties a young woman of a totally foreign culture might have experienced in a small Western American town. 

As a nation we have not always shown tolerance toward those who are "different" from us; I hope we are becoming more enlightened.


Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Site Counter
Kennedy Western University Online