History Hoydens


Historical Romance Writers Dishing the Dirt on Research

25 June 2012

My favorite redingote

I’m back from RomCon2012 and utterly exhausted (I blame Delilah Marvelle for being the best roomie every, oh did we have some killer parties with readers and the male cover models!).

So this week I’m just going to go easy on myself and feature my favorite Regency-era striped cotton pelisse/redingote. The OED dates women’s pelisse to the 1750s and women’s redingotes to the 1820s. Given the way the quote assumes you know what the garment is already, and OED personal saying that verbal usage often predates written records by 20-50 years, I’m going to go out on a limb and stick with the museum’s label of Redingote, 1810-1815.

I love the heavy, striped cotton. It’s so colorful. It makes me think of India (where it was very likely woven). And I love how stark it is otherwise. Just clean lines and a beautiful collar. Can't you just see a sassy heroine striding down the street in this as pale, wilting girls flee in her wake?

Do you have a favorite historical garment that you use for inspiration?


Blogger Betsy said...

It's really beautiful -- did someone at RomCom make it, or did you find the dress in a museum costume collection?

6:37 PM  
Blogger Evangeline Holland said...

I have a particular weakness for Victorian riding habits. The mix of the masculine and feminine is very appealing, and I try to get my heroines into them in just about every book. This picture of Lady Randolph Churchill is so bad ass and sexy.

7:34 PM  
Blogger Isobel Carr said...

@Betsy: That's an extant piece in the V&A's costume collection.

@Evangeline: I love habits too, how can you not?

7:01 AM  
Blogger Merrian said...

Hah! I downloaded a pic of this for my phone screensaver only last week because I loved the colours and the way the stripes have been cut and used.

7:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Site Counter
Kennedy Western University Online